Wednesday 5 September 2007

Putting the "Profit" in Profiteroles

Several months ago when visiting one of the L'Amour triplets down Croydon way, I came across a recipe for profiteroles. (I LOVE those darling L'Amours - more about them in later posts) I decided to use it along with strong doses of semi-sweet chocolate and vodka. Have I invented the first chocolate martini profiterole? Perhaps not, but one thing I AM sure of - I HAVE invented the ultimate way to get blood from a stone - or in my case - attention from the book club.
Any attention, any small splash in the local rag is positive attention. Certainly, that's what my former publicist would tell you. So it's really NOT THAT BIG A DEAL that I momentarily forgot that adding alcohol into a pan over direct heat is NOT recommended when someone you are trying to impress is standing right over it. (Really, I did not know hair could ignite so quickly)
Fortunately my "favour" idea was already a success - and those darling, bespectacled, braided (until dessert), broom handle skirted ladies were enthusiastic about the new novel - which, unbeknownst to them will be largely written by .....them! But I digress.....
I am not known for things domestic, financial or sadly - even literary. However I do have a streak of well oiled paranoia so one thing I am never without is a fire extinguisher. As it happens, it was faulty - but fortunately the mobile was being charged right next to it so I was able to dial for emergency help quickly. Help did arrive some 10 minutes later in the form of several burly medics and a freelance reporter at which point the President of the Book Club was well soused with Pelligrino and orange squash anyway - still she feigned a dizzy spell for some male attention and somehow that was translated next day into "Novelist Stages Failed Comeback Attempt in Book Cub Fiasco"
Oh please.
It really was NOT that big a deal and her hair will grow back eventually. I'm really sorry about that other thing but that's why these things are called "accidents" Certainly permanent scarring was not my intention.
Still - publicity!!! I'm back in the press and I intend to make the most of it!

No comments: